Sunday, June 27, 2010

Iris folding - collage paper

At the Club Scrap retreat last year, I picked up this fabulous collage paper that we used to make a project.  The paper was so gorgeous, I needed more.  After we did the iris folding project this week, I got to thinking about what other text weight paper I had around, and I decided to try iris folding with some of the scraps left over from the original project.



Iris folding sympathy


The pattern I used is found on page 165 of 460 Iris Folded Cards to Make.  I just ordered this book, and love having so many new patterns available.

I am so happy with the result!  Sometimes with iris folding, you can easily get eye-bending patterns that almost make you dizzy if the color selection isn't good.  I think this paper works because although it is busy, the colors within it are harmonious.  For my second color, I chose to pick black, since it's a neutral, and is prevalent in the patterned paper.

When you're iris folding, look at how many pieces are needed for the first round.  For this example, there are four, and I could:
  • Use four different colors so each swirl is a different color
  • Use two different colors, so every other swirl is a different color
  • Use one color, so all of the swirls are the same color (not very interesting most of the time, but sometimes is a nice subtle effect)
When using multiple colors, make sure to pick colors that don't fight with each other.  With patterned papers, I try to pick patterns that are small enough to show a bit of the pattern in each stripe.

Have fun picking papers and trying new color combinations - trust me - this is addicting once you get started!

All papers and stamp are from Club Scrap.  The ribbon slide is a die cut from Spellbinders.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is gorgeous; love the color combination. Thanks for sharing this technique; I tried my hand at it this weekend too and it was fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really beautiful card. I know just what you mean about iris folding - sometimes it seems like too much is going on, but the somber colors keep that from happening here. Am curious... did you include the word 'starting' on purpose or was it that it just happened to be there when you folded the strip?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...