Thursday, December 01, 2011

Tutorial: A snowy paper-pieced scene

While on vacation for Thanksgiving, I was watching some podcasts, and got inspired to make a card featuring a paper-pieced Christmas scene. If you haven't seen it already, check out Christine's Scraptime podcast that shows her paper piecing snowmen, or Amy's blog and video featuring a snowy scene.

I started by stamping my snowman (Happy Snowman from Hero Arts, no longer available) on white paper and patterned paper.  Trim around the outer edge of the white snowman, and the pieces that want to be patterned paper - in my case, the scarf and hat.

I used my Fiskar's Rotary Cutter to trim pieces that look like a rolling hill from a piece of blue patterned paper (a 6x6 pack from Stampin' Up!). 



 I got out my dye ink and my Club Scrap ink applicator.

I ink my applicator, and swoop onto the patterned paper, making sure I start putting ink on my scrap piece of paper.

I stamped some snowflakes on a piece of cardstock to create my snowy background. (from Hero Arts, no longer available)

I thought the hat needed a bit more pizzaz, and I've been waiting for the perfect time to use my Flower Soft Polar White. I applied a little glue to the top of the hat, and sprinkled it on.  I did two coats just to make it extra fluffy.

Here is the background of my card.  I used some baker's twine, a greeting and a punch to put a little sentiment on the card (all from Stampin' Up!).  A little glue holds a cute bow on the card.  It was easier to tie the bow separately.

With all the pieces together, it's a snowy scene!  I used a glaze pen to color the nose orange - it gives it a little dimension and shine.  The buttons were colored with black enamel accents from Ranger - be careful with this, as it tends to have little strings when you lift off of applying it.  It creates a lovely, raised, glossy finish when dry, so it is worth the effort.

We've had our first snow in lift bridge land, and I am getting very excited to go skiing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...